About Department of Anaesthesia
- 1932 – First operating theatres named- ‘Weyerhauser’ were built.
- 1947- Dr. Gwenda Lewis, a trained anaesthetist from Wales set up the department of anaesthesia
- 1948- Dr. Gwenda Lewis along with house surgeons anaesthetized all cases including cardiac and neurosurgery
- 1953- Dr. Gwenda Lewis contracted polio and developed paraplegia but continued to anaesthetise patient on a wheel chair and has written articles including ’Household hints in Anaesthesia’. She was instrumental in the developement of the primitive ‘Vellore Laryngoscope’ and setting up of the Blood Bank.
- 1958- Three staff positions in Anaesthesia were recognized by the University of Madras.
- DA Training started
- 1965- MD training started
- 1980- Recovery Room established
- 1990- SICU started
- 1991- Labour Analgesia started
- 1992- Diploma in Anaesthesia technology was started as part of Allied Health Services under guidance of Dr. Rebecca Jacob.
- Dr. Mary Korula started APS
- 2008- Pre Anaesthesia Clinic and Shift system was started by Dr. Sarah Ninan
- 2011-Anaesthesia department has 5 specialty units.
- 1948- First successful Neuro Surgery
- 1961- First sucessful Open Heart Surgery in India
- 1971- First sucessful Renal Transplant in India
- 1979- Department of Paediatric Surgery established
- 1998- First sucessful Bone Marrow Transplant
- 1999- First successful Liver Transplant
Current Status : The department is headed by Dr Sajan Philip George. The Department of Anaesthesia has 5 units with 3 fellowships. The fellowships in cardiac and neuro anaesthesia ( The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University recognised ) and paediatric anaesthesia fellowship (World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists sponsored).Currently , we have 47 consultants , 1 tutor and 43 post graduates working in the department . Each year we anaesthetize approximately 40,000 patients in the Operating Rooms and approximately 10,000 patients outside Operating Rooms.